Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Those Words

The power of life and death. Some (okay most) people take that lightly. Our words can breathe life or they can incur death. Not only have Christians taken this passage and truth lightly, but some even encourage the speaking of words of death. It's become so common that it's still hard for me to shake.

Chad and I had a counseling session this past Saturday. In it, we were encouraged to speak words of life and not words of death. But at the same time, we were reminded of the Scripture that says the words that come out of your mouth are from your heart. What does that mean for me when Chad says things that hurt? What does that mean for him when I yell at him for things that really don't matter? Does that mean that we are destined to feel negatively towards each other? No, I don't believe so. I believe that once we start SPEAKING the positives and erase the negatives that our hearts will follow. That, again, shows how important words are. Your words have the power to change your heart. THAT is some power right there!

What has become even more difficult is the easily accessible social media networking tools. It is so easy to throw a complaint into the virtual world. Is complaining bad? Well, I'd say everyone does it but I will also say that God allowed the Israelites to wander in the wilderness longer because of their complaints. Yikes! It does make me wonder if when I complain and things get worse or don't get better if it's actually because of the words I've spoken. I truly believe that God understands our complaints but that He wants to hear praise instead. That is so against our culture. It's just not what we do. We have earned the right to speak our minds and to complain about every tiny thing that goes wrong! I have the right to walk into Walmart every week and then get online and complain about how much I hate it! Well, okay. Sure. You have the right but not every right should be used.

Then there is the right to bad mouth or make people feel less by using social media. There is something great about social media but there is so much more that makes it so very wrong. I see more and more ADULTS (it's even worse with teens and younger) take their frustrations out on people ONLINE. They say things they wouldn't say to people's faces because they understand it's rude but hide behind the safety of their computer screens. They seek validation for their negative feelings and hope that the people they are talking about read what they said so that they can hurt them or basically, be their judge. Some people think they can correct bad behavior by displaying a negative attitude about them. However, if logic is used, if someone feels negatively about you and "attacks" you, how does that help? It doesn't. It just reminds me that adults are kids in bigger bodies, still walking around looking for acceptance and seeking revenge. Why? What's the point? Can't we keep social media the way it was intended? To CONNECT and ENGAGE, not to destroy and hurt?

I remember the challenge before Thanksgiving where most everyone was listing what they were thankful for each day. It was so refreshing to log on and see all the positive things people were grasping onto, no matter how small. I understand that people can't be positive all the time but people forget that the internet is permanent. What you say and post cannot be taken back. It's out there forever. The other thing that I see the most is that people forget that on social media, they are creating an image of themselves. A lot of people that are "friends" on social media sites are not friends in real life. What they see of their "friends" are what they post. When a person lashes out at people or life on social media, their friends are seeing them as a negative, vengeful person. I wish I could say, hey, doing it once in awhile doesn't matter. But it does. People remember.

It is so important as a Christian to display a positive image (which is NOT the same as a perfect image). When people look at your profile and flip through your posts, pictures, comments--do they see Jesus or you? Do they see someone who can't stand people or someone who loves people? The most basic question is: Do they look at your profile and see someone they want to become or someone that they want to be nothing like?

I can say that many times, people could have looked at my profile and said, "She's a follower? Umm, no thanks. Don't want to be like that." That is something that I am striving to change. Here are the tips I have gained so far (and I still have a long ways to go!):

1. Instead of getting angry at the nasties that people post (maybe this is just for me), hide them so that you don't even have to view them.

2. If you get angry at a nasty post, don't comment on it. It's not worth it.

3. If you are angry to begin with, don't even get on your site. If you stay away from it, you can avoid posting something you will regret later.

4. If you can't resist the urge to post something rude, don't forget that you CAN delete it. The sooner the better. Just don't forget that just because you delete it doesn't mean someone hasn't already copied and pasted it somewhere to save forever. Seriously #3 is the best option.

5. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Really. If you can't be positive, my suggestion, don't post.

6. Don't have fights online. If you have a problem with something someone has said, talk to them personally.

7. If you are being easily offended, take a break from your site. Again, it's not worth it.

8. If you wouldn't say it in person, don't post it.

Remember, we are the light of the world. Our world now includes social media so we are to be a light there as well.

It's not a place to air our dirty laundry or to take out our frustrations on the world and people.

Let your light shine.

No comments: