Monday, April 23, 2012

We're Laying Down Our Weapons Now

My word for the year has been haunting me the past few days.  Last year, when I choose a word to focus on through the year of 2011, I pretty much dismissed what it could really do in my life.  By New Years Eve, I had forgotten what word I had even chosen.  This year, when the same challenge was presented, I wanted to make sure my word was from the Lord and that I would actually be committed to it.  Words like "inspire", "friends", "family", "passion" all came to mind instantly but I felt there was something deeper that God would present to me.  When I felt Him whisper "peace", I thought it was very strange.  Strange enough for me to really believe it was Him and not me.

Peace.  Something my husband strives for but rarely gets because of who he is married to and who his daughter is.  It made me laugh a little that that is what God would choose to be my word.

To be honest, the word kind of disappeared in my life for the first few months.  Other than verses that I grabbed a hold of that say, "SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND LET ME (GOD) HANDLE THIS!"  I am a defender, always have been.  Don't attack the people I love, don't wrongly attack me or you are not going to be happy that you did.  I used to be so proud of the venom I could shoot through people with just a few choice words.  Don't mess with me was an attitude I had perfected.  I hang my head in shame now as I wonder the example of Christ I had ruined in all the times I choose to handle situations in this manner.

I do not think it is coincidence that situations have risen lately that challenge my word.  My first response is to engage but that is not peace.  My next response is to completely ignore the situations but I don't believe Jesus ever did that.  Peace.

Peace cannot be attained without one thing.  Surrender.

The Lord really drove that point home to me with a sermon I listened to Saturday.  Emptying my life to give Him room.  When I empty my life and surrender it leaves room for perfect love for others and clears the way for peace.

Has peace ever been attained in a war without surrender?  Never.  And we are in an ongoing battle.  We can choose to fight by ourselves and lose (even when we feel like we have "won") or we can surrender to the way the Lord wants things handled and win (even when it feels like we have lost).

There is something much deeper to being a follower of Christ than to be nice, go to church, and keep the commandments.  How we treat people and respond to them is what makes the difference.

I want to be a peacemaker, not a young, foolish soldier who engages because they want to draw blood on their enemy.  We wrestle not against flesh and blood.

I also do not think it was coincidence that I have a cold which means that I could not lead worship Sunday morning.  That also meant that we were going to use cds for worship.  Manda choose a song that I have never heard before that really spoke to my heart and my current situations.  When I was almost home last night, I heard the same song come on the radio when I was in the midst of controversy again and wondering how to proceed.

This is very much worth listening to all the way through.  I hope that these words can transform your approach as much as it has for me.  Please read the lyrics and let them take place in your heart.



Surrender.

Peace.

No comments: