Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Teach for the need

So, now that's it's been almost a month since I have written, I decided this would be a good time to write even though I don't have much inspiration to do so.

I had a sort of rough day yesterday. I went to observe at a school (I'm not going to say which school) and it was my fourth time there. I had met the superintendant of the school my first day in but yesterday he was back. He talked to my advising teacher and I during lunch and he asked me what I had learned. I told him that I noticed that the kids are just so good and that they seem to really enjoy reading and that isn't normal. The superintendant then goes into talking about how their school has been so successful because of the "great product we have to work with, parents who push their children to do well and a great staff." Then he went on to say that the teachers wouldn't be as successful in Toledo schools because the two other components would be gone. I don't know if that does anything to you but me being in the education field for the past four years and working with kids at the BAGC and being in Kiev working with kids.... that statement ticked me off. He had no idea but it just makes me angry! What about those kids that don't have the backup at home? What about those kids that just don't get the material? What about those kids that don't have the same opportunities as the kids whose parents have plenty of padding in their pockets? Do they not deserve the best as well??? Because a lot of educators don't think so. They want the best kids... they want to be comfortable... they don't want to have to stretch themselves. But there are kids out there that NEED great teachers who will commit to them and those kids are the lives that will be changed. Not the mommy's and daddy's babies kids. No, they will do just fine without great teachers because they already have what they "need" in this world. But shouldn't teachers teach students that need them?

I don't know what all the motivating factors are for teachers but if it is to be comfortable then they aren't in the right occupation. I don't want to be a teacher just so that I can have the summers off and so that I can teach a few things about grammar. I want my students to be changed... I want them to look at English in a new way... I want them to look at each other in a new way and see how their lives are stories and how they can change this world by being themselves. I know that the majority of the kids who are "great products" won't do much to change the world. But those kids that struggle... the ones that just want someone they can depend on... someone who will give them a chance... they are the ones that will change the world. And I want to be part of that.

Gosh, I didn't even know I was going to go that far into this. So, I think I'll just be done for now! :) See you in another month or maybe tomorrow.

No comments: