I have been formulating this blog in my mind for a couple of weeks now, just waiting for the right moment to sit, think, and spill. In light of news I received last night, it has taken a turn but still remains the same. It may not be the right moment, one or both of my children could need my immediate attention at any time, but I will pause, tend to them, and come back. I believe this is important enough to start and finish, whether it be in one sitting or not.
Christmas. It truly is the best time of the year for me. That is coming from someone who loves the feeling of summer walks and backyard play. From someone who could constantly breathe in the fresh scent of falling leaves and bonfires. From the person who feels anew and lightened when the first green blades of grass begin to grow again. But for a few weeks in December - through the snow and ice, the bundled up masses that walk by, the cooped up times that never seem to end to try to protect my children from sickness (doesn't work) - we remember.
I am one of those people that gets giddy over impending Christmas. I feel myself change as we enter into November, readying ourselves for the holiday season. Thanksgiving is just a precursor for me, it's Christmas that shines through my heart.
Do you feel it too? I know not everyone does. There is magic in putting up the Christmas tree and in thinking of the right gifts for loved ones. There is magic in baking and thinking of the right food to eat on that special day. There is magic in carols, and charities, and the twinkle in peoples' eyes. For some, there is magic in Santa and all his helpers. There is very true magic in the face of my daughter as she opens what she believes is the best present ever. One of the most magical times for me is all the family time we get during the holidays. I am so happy that for the past two years (and the same for this year), Maddy will see all four of her grandparents, both of her aunts, one of her uncles and all of her cousins on one day. What a blessing! Family, that is a special gift that Christmas celebrates.
But a lot of that magic happens on Thanksgiving, and at times Easter. What makes Christmas so special to me? This year, I sought out the answer and it didn't take long for me to see the truth.
It really IS Jesus for me. A constant reminder for weeks of what His birth did. It's almost as if I'm there, feeling the anticipation of the King's impending birth while also knowing how it played out (and continues to play out). It's the Christmas programs, the songs that everyone knows that speak of His birth, His life, His faithfulness. It's when people remember the goodness of Jesus, the true reason for Him. Guilt for sins seems to be behind us as we think of a precious baby that grew into a man that was God and continues to be as He sits on the throne and guides our lives.
Wow, a day to really, truly celebrate Him surrounded by family and friends and our love for each other? Honestly, what could be more magical than that?
This year has been even more exciting for me. I have felt the joy in my bones. I know that Maddy will really start remembering her Christmases now and I have been thinking of ways to make it even more special for her. I kept thinking that this will be the perfect Christmas. Then Dad came over last night.
Three months ago, Dad was told he was a cancer survivor after 6 weeks of treatment for bladder cancer. What a blessing! He had a checkup appointment last week and fear crept into my heart waiting to hear from him on the results. I felt great relief when Mom texted and said the doctor said Dad was all clear. But he wasn't. They called last night to inform Dad that his urinalysis showed cancer cells. My hope crumbled and anger and sadness rose in its place. Right before Christmas? No, this can't be right.
But it is, and as I rested (or tossed and turned), I was reminded of God's faithfulness and that this news came at just the right time. A time where we will be surrounded by family. A time that reminds me of who God is and what He has given us. A time of love - a time of hope.
Please remember this Christmas season to celebrate - celebrate Jesus, celebrate life and family, celebrate those who have left us and those who are still here. Celebrate the magic, friends, because it's only a glimpse. We can have hope, not just on one day of the year, but every day. Let us remember.
Friday, December 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment