Saturday, September 21, 2013

Presenting: Oliver Thomas

I had given up hope.  Maddy had entered the world at 38 weeks, 2 days.  I went to my 38 1/2 week appointment hoping to show some progress, something that would say my body is ready to go.  No such luck.  My doctor told me that he would induce the NEXT Saturday (40 weeks, 1 day).  For the first time, I cried in his office.

There was so much going through my mind.  Fear of Maddy hating her brother, or worse, me.  Fear of what would happen with an induction or just labor in general.  Fear of if our family was ready to handle a newborn.  But my overriding feeling was the pain I felt in my body, my fatigue, and wanting to see my baby boy.

When I walked out of the exam room, my doctor told me that he would be willing to induce the next Wednesday.  I'm still not sure if that was because he forgot he would already be there or if it was my tears that pushed him to that decision.  But I took it.  Then wondered if I should.  What a constant battle of emotions!

So I had given up... I knew my body wasn't going to do anything on its own and that I would be in for the new experience of an induction.

Saturday, Chad and I went grocery shopping, just getting a few things to get us through the next few days before we went to the hospital.  It was a nice time with just the two of us.  We came home for a bit then headed to church.  It was one of those weird moments when I realized that would be our last time at church as a family of three--and all those emotions came back again.

Maddy went to bed fairly early that evening so Chad and I were able to spend some time together before we went to sleep.

At 11:00, I woke up having to go to the bathroom (no surprise there) when I realized I had already went a little (again, no surprise).  I got up, walked into the kitchen, and a steady stream continued.  I ran to the bathroom where that steam did not stop.  I was left in the bathroom, without my phone and too close to Maddy's room to yell for Chad.  For about 15 minutes, I tried to figure out how to contact anyone without making a mess.  I finally left the bathroom and told Chad it was time.  He shot out of bed and said, "It is?!"  After telling him my water broke, he frantically started getting things around.  He then asked if he should call his boss.  He had no idea this was really happening.

I grabbed my phone and called my sister and Dad to tell them it was go-time.  We were on the road by 11:45.

Contractions started in the car and were immediately 4 minutes apart.  I was able to laugh and talk with Chad in between them and our excitement was building every mile we traveled.

I waddled into labor and delivery and immediately sent Chad to get the towel we brought as my water was not done draining!  How embarrassing.

We were sent to our room and I was able to get changed and in bed before my parents and sister joined us.  When I was checked for the first time, I was 3 centimeters dilated.  I didn't know if that meant it would go fast or if I would be stuck there for awhile.  The nurse told me that people had been coming in like crazy that evening and delivery very quickly.  She asked if I wanted my epidural and I said I might want to wait.  She said that it would be about an hour from when I request it to when I get it.  Chad told me to just go ahead and get it.  I'm so thankful he told me that.

My contractions quickly became more intense and closer together.  I got up to go to the bathroom and ended up puking my guts out.  I began shaking and crying and was desperate for the epidural.  The nurse told me that there were 2 people before me so it would probably be another 2 hours before I got one.  I tried to remain calm and luckily, it was only about a half hour before I was able to get my epidural.  It was the most painful experience from my labor with Maddy so I was nervous but it was so easy this time.  It was quick and fairly painless.

Once I had my epidural, I was good to go.  The nurse checked me and I was at a 5.  She told me that even though my doctor wasn't on-call, she had called him and he said he would come in to deliver for me (he loves me!).  Everyone was so sweet!

We all decided it was time to take a nap (everyone but Mom) and I slept for about an hour.  The nurse came in to check me again and I was a 9.  I had no clue because I was feeling good!  Shortly after, it was time to push.

I pushed a few times when my doctor walked in and asked if someone was having a baby.  He looked at me and said, "YEP!"  He then walked out of the room.  :)

After a bit, I was told to stop pushing and the nurse yelled for my doctor from the door.  He came in, I pushed once and the head was out and pushed another time and my sweet baby boy had entered the world.
He was a round 8 pounds, 20 3/4 inches long and was born right at 6:45 am.  It really was one of the best experiences of my life and was very low pain and panic.  Oliver Thomas was greeted by Mommy, Daddy, Gramma and Grampa Wilmot, Aunt Manda and Aunt Colleen--all of which pulled an all-nighter (other than our short naps).  He was worth it.

He is perfect, I mean really perfect.  Maddy is absolutely smitten and so am I.

I wish I would listen more to the Lord when He says to trust Him and not to worry.  What a blessing He has given to us!



No comments: