Tuesday, July 22, 2014

My Work

Wow.  "Coincidence" strikes again.

Today I planned to share how I started my VA journey on my new Facebook page: Vonalt Virtual Assistance.   The past few months have been an exciting time for me and I decided I was ready to take the leap in sharing about what I do.

Today I will not be sharing how I got started.  Today I will be highlighting how hectic and horrible my day has been and why I'm glad that I am the one having it.

Oliver, my 10 month old, has been very fussy and demanding the past few weeks.  About a week ago, he started having frequent loose stools and would even wake in the middle of the night to go.   Those stools then delivered a nasty and painful diaper rash.  Last night he got a fever (which I found out when I was up with him from 2AM-4AM).  The dr wanted to see him right away.

I have been watching my sister's kids this summer and then I come home and do my work.   I had to scramble to figure out what to do with the kids and within an hour had it figured out.

At the office,  we found out that Oliver has a fever of 100.6, an ear infection,  a red (most likely very sore) throat, and a yeast infection.   Yikes!

I had his prescriptions sent to Bryan instead of Auburn (his pediatrician is in Fort Wayne) so that Chad could pick them up on his way home from work.   I called him and he didn't have his debit card with him so I went from Fort Wayne to Bryan to make sure we didn't go another day without starting to work on Oliver's issues. 

IT.WAS.EXHAUSTING.

In the midst of the pediatrician's office, I had two clients who requested to chat with me today.  I politely declined and promised a better day tomorrow.

This has been one hot, miserable day (and it isn't over yet!) but I am so honored to be able to experience it.   I was with my sick son all day and didn't have to take a day off work (I WILL, however,  be catching up on some work in my bed tonight) or worry about losing any pay.  I am my own boss and I am able to decide when I work. 

Sometimes that is difficult.  Being with my kids all day AND trying to get a good day's work in can prove to be almost impossible some days.  However,  days like today,  where I can sit and rock my son to sleep and not be rushed back to work, these are the days I savor.  It's when I know that the difficulty is all worth it. 

I love what I do but more importantly,  I love the opportunities it gives me to be with my family.

I WILL share my VA roots soon, but for now,  I'm just going to enjoy the view.

No comments: